FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
⌂ YWTC hasn't replied to my email (phone call) — WHY ?
- Before asking, please read very carefully: This page provides answers to most questions !
- If you'd rather engage with us face-to-face, you're welcome to drop by any weekend morning for a chat.
1. MEMBERSHIP IS FULL — IS THERE SOME WAY TO JOIN ?
- Sorry, you're out of luck this year.
- Due to high demand, Adult and Student memberships are capped.
- Consider joining the 2024 Membership Waiting List by:
2. Paying Membership Dues via Interac e-Transfer to
3. Forwarding your bank's e-Transfer receipt to
- Upon receiving payment, we'll send you a confirmation email with your wait list number.
- Applications submitted without payment are not issued wait list numbers & are not acknowledged.
- Look for a full explanation of our Refund Policy under the 'About Us' tab.
2. THE MEMBERSHIP WAITING LIST — HOW LONG IS it ?
- Priority is given to returning 2023 members who have until April 15th to renew their memberships.
- Starting April 16th, new Adult & Student memberships will be approved (in the waitlist number sequence) until the membership cap is reached.
- Do to high demand, YWTC imposes a membership cap.
3. CASH (CREDIT, DEBIT, CHEQUE) PAYMENT & PAPER FORM APPLICATIONS — ARE THEY ACCEPTED ?
- Handling of paper (cash, cheques, forms) ADDS TO THE WORK LOAD of our Executive Board.
- To spare us the headache & save our time, we insist on electronic payment & online application.
- It's the quickest, & most efficient way.
- If you REALLY struggle with keyboards: an Executive Board member is at the Club Sat & Sun mornings DURING THE FIRST SIX WEEKS OF THE SEASON (April to mid-May) to help members fill out online forms, accept cash & cheque payments, & issue membership shoe tags, & receipts.
- We do not accept credit nor debit cards, & have no plans to change this policy.
4. FAMILY MEMBERSHIP PLAN — can i apply ?
- This attractively priced Plan is for parents with children under 18yrs of age.
- The purpose of the Plan is to promote youth participation in our Junior tennis programs, & family tennis fun.
- The Plan is not for childless couples, couples with infants or children who are too young (under 5yrs) to play tennis.
5. STUDENT membership IS A GOOD DEAL — CAN I APPLY AS A STUDENT?
- Yes, our Student membership fee is a fantastic deal but is restricted to full-time students.
- Student applicants must submit proof of full-time enrollment in a post-secondary educational institution (a recently dated tuition invoice, letter or certificate from the Registrar).
- pdfs of the supporting documents mentioned above should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org at the same time as the Membership Application Form is submitted.
- We reserve the right to decline Student applications that do not meet our eligibility standards.
6. WHAT DOES THE MEMBERSHIP FEE INCLUDE ?
- The Membership Fee gets you:
- Court booking privileges
- Invitations to our Opening & Closing Day BBQs
- Voting privileges at our Annual General Meeting (Adult members only)
- The right to bring one or more guests ($12. per person guest fee applies)
- Activities are offered a la carte—at extra cost—giving members the choice to opt in or out.
- These include InterCounty, House League, Ladder, Tournaments, Round-Robin Socials, Clinics & private lessons from our Head Pro.
- Activity fees cover new ball costs, food/refreshments, prizes, & administrative expenses.
7. I WAS A YWTC MEMBER BEFORE — WHY MUST I PAY THE ADMIN FEE AGAIN ?
- To be eligible for the renewal rate, you must renew your membership each year.
- If you skip renewing 1yr or more, then you must apply as a New Member & pay the Admin Fee again.
8. TRIAL MEMBERSHIPS, TRIAL LESSONS — ARE THEY AVAILABLE ?
9. FRACTIONAL (REDUCED RATE) MEMBERSHIPS FOR PART OF THE SEASON — ARE THEY AVAILABLE ?
CLUB ACTIVITIES, PROGRAMS & LESSONS
1. I DON'T KNOW ANYONE at ywtc — HOW DOes a newcomeR GET started ?
- 1st, Join YWTC.
- 2nd, Add your name to our Hitting Partner List.
- The List shows names, contact info, playing level, and preferred times of other members looking for same.
- Reach out to others to arrange a hitting session, or wait for them to reach out to you.
- 3rd, Join our Monday Doubles House League.
- All levels of play are accommodated at House League, plus you'll meet a lot of members as a bonus.
- 4th, Attend our socials where (Doubles) Round Robin is the name of the game.
- 5th, Ask our Head Pro--he knows everybody's game--to match you up with someone your level.
- 6th, Try some solo practice by taking advantage of our hitting wall located behind the Clubhouse.
2. HOUSE LEAGUE — WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT ?
- All Adult & Teen members are welcome to join HL.
- In HL, players of comparable skill levels are grouped for a friendly, relaxed game of doubles.
- HL starts in May & ends in Sept: About 20 sessions in all, INCLUDING official holidays.
- You have a choice of Mondays (Beginner & Intermediate), or Wednesdays (Advanced).
- We run two sessions: 7pm, & 8:30pm.
- To be fair, you'd start some weeks @7pm, others @8:30pm: You do not get a choice of times.
- As there are more players than spots, we use a rotation system where members will occasionally have to sit out one week so others have a turn to play.
- HL members are eligible to register for free 6pm HL Clinics led by our Head Pro (participation limits apply.)
- HL entails a one-time $20. fee to cover ball costs, & software for tracking players, scores, & schedules.
3. I'M NOT INTO DOUBLES — WHAT DOES YWTC OFFER THE SINGLES PLAYER ?
- For the competitive-minded Singles player, we offer the Ladder (a one-time $15. fee applies)
- The Ladder allows you to challenge others to a Singles match at a mutually convenient time.
- The fee covers the cost of software for Ladder administration, tracking match results, & standings.
- Doubles accounts for most of the tennis played at YWTC, & is encouraged as it maximizes court usage.
4. PRIVATE LESSON WITH THE HEAD PRO — what'S the rate ?
- $65. per hour payable via cash or Interac e-Transfer.
- Talk to the Pro about his semi-private (2 persons) & group (3 or more) rates.
5. PICKLEBALL — is IT PERMITTED AT YWTC ?
6. intercounty — WHAT'S THE PROCESS FOR JOINING ONE OF YWTC'S icta TEAMS ?
- To play for YWTC Intercounty Team, you must be a YWTC member.
- Playing spots on YWTC Intercounty teams will not be offered to non-members.
- During the off-season, members are sent email invitations to attend Intercounty team practices.
- These 2h-long indoor sessions are usually held Saturday evenings at Mayfair West (a fee applies) at monthly intervals (Dec ~ Mar)
- An outdoor practice session (no fee applied) is also held at YWTC in early May, before ICTA plays begins.
- Our Head Pro & Team Captains will jointly evaluate your performance at these practices, & will lay out your team options before the ICTA roster submission deadline.
- Starting lineup players (home game only) will chip in to help cover the cost for new balls, & refreshment/snack expenses (the latter served at the Team Captain's discretion).
- Note: Intercounty consists of Doubles play exclusively.
7. IS IT POSSIBLE TO SET UP SINGLES MATCHES WITH PLAYERS FROM OTHER CLUBS ?
- Join Community Tennis Networks (CTN) to connect with other Singles players in the GTA, and at your level.
- Invite your opponent to play at York-Weston (the YWTC guest fee applies, of course).
- Or get invited to play as a visitor at another local club (fees may apply) !
- Check out how CTN works by clicking www.communitytennisnetwork.com/networks
- CTN keeps it close to home by letting you pick your area: Toronto West, Toronto East, Mississauga, Vaughan, Brampton, or beyond.
- Playing CTN matches gives you an ITF World Tennis Number, an ITF WTN ranking you can track, & your match score history.
- Registration is free! Plus they're giving away fantastic prizes! What an amazing deal !
- But wait, it's not actually free — You've already paid for CTN!
- About 10% of your YWTC membership fee goes to the OTA each year (OTA runs CTN in conjunction with Tennis Canada).
- So thank you very much OTA for giving something back!
8. RAINED Out — how do i know if a program is cancelled due to rain ?
- Check Status Updates for the latest info on court conditions, & program status.
BEGINNERS & JUNIORS
1. I'M A BEGINNER — WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO LEARN THE BASICS ?
- Our Newbie Clinic is expressly for our beginner members (Adult & Teen).
- Clinics are held each Saturday in May, June, July and August from noon to 2pm.
- Requirements: Prepayment for 4 sessions (8 hrs total) & a sign-up minimum of four students.
- It's a cost-effective way of getting an introduction to tennis fundamentals.
- We'll even loan you a racquet, if you don't already have one.
2. MY KIDS — hOW TO GET THEM STARTED IN TENNIS ?
- YWTC's Junior Program caters to both the recreational player & the more serious-minded Junior looking to compete in tournaments.
- Our After-School Program is a great starting point for the casual, recreational player: 5yrs of age is the minimum & 17yrs is the maximum.
- The After-School Program runs weekdays 4pm ~ 6pm from mid-May to late June.
- There is some flexibility in tailoring the hours to suit parents' schedules.
- The 2nd Option: Our Summer Day Camp teaches the full variety of strokes, & the rules of the game.
- Camp runs 9am ~ 3pm weekdays throughout July & August. Attendance can be tailored to your schedule, but 2h-long daily sessions are the norm. You can opt for 4h or even 6h per day, & choose all five weekdays, or less, if you'd prefer.
- Juniors aspiring to enter tournaments will require private lessons from our Head Pro who has over 20 years of experience in leading high-performance coaching programs for Juniors who compete in Ontario Tennis Association, Tennis Canada, USTA, & International Tennis Federation tournaments.
GAMETIME & COURT BOOKING
1. ERROR MESSAGES — WHY DO I KEEP GETTING THEM WHEN TRYING TO BOOK A COURT ?
- Members cannot book Court 4: Only the Head Pro enjoys booking privileges for #4, our teaching court.
- If the Club's online court reservation system is showing Court 4 as not booked, then members can use Court 4 on a walk-on basis.
- Court 4 users must always respect the automatic hourly changeover rule.
2. IS THERE A MAXIMUM NUMBER OF HOURS I CAN PLAY PER WEEK ?
- Yes, and no.
- Yes — The limit is six hours of court time per week when using the online court reservation system.
- No — You can play as long as you want on courts that have not been reserved (are 'open') as a 'walk-on' (no reservation).
- Court 4, our teaching court, is always 'open' & available for 'walk-ons' if not reserved by the Head Pro.
- However, if you see members on the patio waiting for an open court, you should respect the automatic hourly changeover rule, & vacate the court so others can have a turn to play.
1. I DON'T HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT — HOW DO I FILL OUT THE CLUB'S GOOGLE FORMs ?
- You do not need a Google account to fill out one of YWTC's Google Forms.
- YWTC members routinely fill out our Google Forms without any problem whatsoever when logged into their Sympatico, Bellnet, Hotmail, Yahoo, or many other types of non-Gmail accounts.
- Make sure your browser is logged into your non-Gmail account when trying to fill out a Google Form.
- If you are experiencing difficulty with filling out one YWTC's Google Forms because you don't have a Google account, we'd advise you to humbly ask a digital native to help solve your problem.
EMAILS, EMAIL LISTS and COMMUNICATIONS
1. EMAILS & MAILING LISTS — CLUB POLICIES
- To minimize the number of unsolicited emails the Club sends to its members, the Club maintains numerous email lists based on activity interests indicated on the membership form.
- Activity mailing lists include eg Intercounty, Ladder, Ladies Social, House League, & more.
- Members, when filling out their membership form, can choose to opt in or to opt out of these various lists.
- Unfortunately, emails are not 100% reliable (for reasons explained in #2 below)
- Status Updates is 100% reliable, & is the primary way for the Club to communicate news to its members.
- We strongly suggest that you bookmark www.ywtc.ca/status-updates.html
- Make it a habit to regularly check Status Updates to see what's going on at the Club.
2. i Don'T RECEIVE EMAILs ABOUT CLUB EVENTs — why?
- The Club sends out emails based on activity interests indicated by members on their application form.
- If you were expecting an email but didn't receive anything, it could be for one of several reasons:
- Capricious mail servers occasionally blacklist YWTC.CA's outgoing mail server (beyond our control)
- As a result, YWTC emails may land in the spam/junk folder where they remain unread
- Or even worse, YWTC emails may be rejected as undeliverable, and bounce back
- Your name is not on email list for a particular activity because you failed to check the box for that particular activity on your application form
- Emails are sent to an email address no longer used by the member, or the inbox for that account is rarely, if ever, checked by the member
- The email address is invalid because of a typo (input error) made by the member on the Application Form
- Emails bounce back because the mailbox is full
- www.ywtc.ca's Status Updates page is the primary way the Club communicates news to its members.
- To stay informed about Club news & upcoming events, make it a habit to check the www.ywtc.ca's Status Updates page on a regular basis.
- We suggest you bookmark www.ywtc.ca/status-updates.html on your browser.
3. MAILING LISTS — HOW DO I SUBSCRIBE / UNSUBSCRIBE ?
- A copy of your completed membership application form is sent to the email address provided.
- Save this copy for your records as it contains a useful link should you wish to subscribe to or unsubscribe from (one or all) of our many mailing lists, or to correct or update your information at a later date.
- If you did not save the copy of the form, contact email@example.com & we'll send you the link so you can edit & manage your preferences.
4. SOCIAL MEDIA — DOES THE CLUB COMMUNICATE VIA SOCIAL MEDIA like FACEBOOK, oR OTHER ?
- Our website's Status Updates page serves as our Club's bulletin board, & is regularly updated.
GUEST & PUBLIC HOUR POLICIES
1. I'M NOT A MEMBER — CAN I PLAY AS A GUEST ?
- Guests wishing to play must be signed into the GameTime court booking system by a YWTC member.
- Unescorted guests (not signed in by a member) are not permitted to play (Public Hours excepted, see #2).
- The member is responsible for paying the $12. Guest Fee (per Guest) via Interac e-Transfer to
- Member's GameTime privileges will be suspended if Guest Fee payment is not received within 24h
- Cash payments are not accepted.
2. I'M NOT A MEMBER, I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO'LL SIGN ME IN — CAN I STILL PLAY ?
- All are welcome to play during Public Hours: Sat from 2pm~4pm & Fri from 4pm~8pm.
- During Public Hours, no sign-in is required & no Guest Fee is applied.
3. ARE NON-MEMBERS (GUESTS) PERMITTED TO TAKE PRIVATE LESSONS or participate in clinics ?
- No. Only YWTC members are permitted to take a private lesson or participate in a Clinic.
4. ARE NON-MEMBERS (GUESTS) PERMITTED TO participate in social events?
- Family & friends of members are always welcome to attend our social events (the more the merrier).
- However, with the sole exception of Ladies Night, non-members (Guests) ARE NOT PERMITTED TO PLAY in our Round-Robin Socials, House League, & Tournaments (including the Davis Cup).
CLUB OPERATIONS & FACILITIES
1. HOW IS THE CLUB RUN ?
- YWTC is a non-profit, community-based Club operating under a seasonal permit issued by the City of Toronto's Parks, Forestry & Recreation Dept.
- The Club is governed by an Executive Board elected annually by the Membership under the YWTC Constitution & By-Laws, a copy of which is found on this site.
- The Club relies entirely on volunteers who contribute their time, & expertise to Club operations.
- There are no paid staff positions at YWTC.
2. MEMBERSHIP FEES — WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO ?
- Your Membership Fees cover our operating costs. Major costs include (in descending order):
- The seasonal permit fee issued by the City of Toronto's Parks, Forestry & Recreation Department
- Membership in the Ontario Tennis Association
- Clubhouse maintenance & repair
- Court equipment costs (nets, windscreens, squeegees etc).
- Intercounty Tennis Association team registration fees
- Any surplus is set aside in a reserve fund for court resurfacing, a major project undertaken every 15y, or so.
- By the Club Constitution & By-Laws, the Club Treasurer is obligated to present the Annual Treasurer's report to the Membership at the Annual General Meeting held at the conclusion of every season.
3. HOW LONG IS THE CLUB SEASON ?
- Almost eight months long, roughly speaking.
- It officially starts in early April when the Club's annual permit is issued, & the Clubhouse re-opens.
- Club programs (House League, Intercounty) don't get going until the second week of May.
- All Club programs wind up by late September. Individual play continues into November.
- The Clubhouse closes around mid-November which brings the season to an official end.
- Private lessons can be arranged with the Head Pro throughout the entire season (Apr ~ Nov).
4. THE OFF-SEASON — WHAT's going on at ywtc DURING THE WINTER ?
- Dec ~ Apr not much happens at YWTC.
- All programs & activities, including the online court reservation system are suspended.
- The Clubhouse & Clubhouse washrooms are closed.
- The City of Toronto & YWTC do not provide maintenance of courts, & facilities during the off-season.
- Two of our four nets are taken down.
- Two nets are left up for the benefit of a few of our members who enjoy playing tennis outdoors year-round.
- As winter tennis is inherently hazardous because of the danger of slipping & falling on the ice, winter tennis players are asked to sign liability waiver forms whereby they acknowledge the dangerous nature of winter tennis, accept that they are playing at their own risk, & assume all responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
5. THE Clubhouse — What Does IT offer ?
- Funded & built in the 1970s entirely with member donations, our modest but cozy Clubhouse offers:
☺Mens & Womens Washrooms with change rooms
- Regrettably, our Clubhouse does not offer